By Borthwen beach, Oyster Catcher is a lovingly converted barn for six. Walk, cycle, fish and hunker down in style.
Oyster Catcher is perfectly named as it sits right by the sandy beach at Borthwen and by the Anglesey Coastal Path – come to spy the curlews and choughs and conquer the sea paths and then return to cosy up by the fire.
Original art adorns the walls, and a wood-burner encourages lounging on soft grey sofas in the large open living space with a warm oak floor. A widescreen television/ DVD player helps while away any days when you want to hunker down and hide from the outside world.
All three bedrooms at Oyster Catcher are gorgeous. Two are smallish but perfect. A twin room has a cute en-suite shower room. The twin bunk room is a delight with steps leading up to the top bunk and an extra mezzanine area for hiding away. A cute Tipi tent gives the kids a retreat too! There is a bathroom here with a small bath and shower over to wash off the salt after a dip in the sea down the lane.
The light-filled master bedroom has a delicious bed and the dreamiest views over to the coast and to the lighthouse. The window seat is a great vantage point. A handy en-suite offers peace and seclusion in the morning.
Cooks will be chuffed with the smart planked pine-floored kitchen. Everything you could possibly need has been catered for. Some freshly caught sea bass or some lamb from the award-winning butcher in Valley would be a treat around the dining table, which sits snugly in the corner with plenty of bright cushions to help all to linger over meals.
The patio area outside the kitchen is small but ample with BBQ and table and chairs. With the Anglesey Coastal Path just a brisk minute or two away from Oyster Catcher and with acres of fields and public footpaths to roam, there is plenty of space in which to immerse yourself. The old piggery offers a sunny space to unwind just off the sitting room. Watch the goings on down the country lane with a glass of something cool.
A mile and a half walk through a wealth of coves and stunning scenery and you come to Church Bay and a seafood restaurant, The Lobster Pot. A cute little cafe serves great home cooked food and cakes to die for. The local village is less than a mile miles away with a shop for groceries and a great new pub with wood burning stove and local food. Dogs are also welcome there.
Only a few miles away is the port town of Holyhead, with Tesco and Morrisons supermarkets and fast links to Ireland. The A55 main route in is just 10 minutes away giving easy access to the rest of Anglesey and the mainland.
Borthwen Barns are close to the privately owned Carreglwyd Country Estate and the huge fishing lake and beautiful woodland walks can be made available to all guests on request. There will be a small cost for use of the fishing of the lake.
- Accommodation can cater for 6 guests
- Master bedroom with double bed and en-suite shower room
- Twin room with two single beds and en-suite shower room
- Twin room with bunk beds and en-suite bathroom (small bath with shower over)
- An extra bed can be made available in a small mezzanine area next to the top bunk in the bunk room. At request only and an extra charge applies for bedding/towel £20 (please request at time of booking or no later than 2 weeks before arrival date, thank you)
- Open plan kitchen with dishwasher, microwave, fridge/small freezer
- Cupboard in kitchen accommodates iron and board,washing machine and dryer.
- Dining table with seating for 6 in kitchen
- Wide Screen TV/DVD and Freesat
- High chair and travel cot available
- Electricity and all bills included
- Parking for one car outside barn (an overspill car park is about 20m away for any additional cars)
- BBQ and patio area with bench/table
- Dogs welcome – up to two dependent upon sizes – at an extra cost of £20 per dog
- Small lawn area and gate but not entirely dog proof!
- No smoking
- Free wifi available
- Mobile reception average
- Restaurant and two pubs within two miles
- Local shop within a mile
- Public transport available within a mile
- Couples discount on request for the quieter months Nov-Feb (excludes any peak weeks)
- Please note: a 30% deposit (excluding last minute bookings) and a booking fee is required at the time of booking.
“Just a few words to say how much we have enjoyed our stay at Oyster Catcher. It is a delightful place, we were very impressed with the accommodation, the quality of the fittings and equipment and the location was perfect for our needs. I am glad you recommended this barn to us and we thoroughly enjoyed the coastal walks from the door. The accommodation was exactly as described on your excellent website – and having stayed in lots of self-catering cottages this is not always the case! We found the accommodation in a spotlessly clean condition. It was very spacious and we appreciated having the extra space to ourselves! The coastal paths nearby are so picturesque and not too taxing! Again many thanks – Anglesey was lovely and the weather was kind to us!”
“We have just returned from our “girls weekend” at the Oyster Catcher and I am emailing you to say how much we all enjoyed our short break at Borthwen Barns. We were thrilled with the cottage, which was wonderful! Our break was so enjoyable and above all was very relaxing. It was great to leave the car parked outside and walk straight from the cottage to the beach and cliff paths, returning for coffee on the patio on some days, or for lunch. Thank you for the bara brith and wine and also thank you for leaving some milk for us, which was really appreciated and a lovely touch. Thank you for all your care and attention to detail.”
OYSTER CATCHER, 3 BORTHWEN BARNS, LLANFAETHLU, ANGLESEY, LL65 4NH.
Similar cottages on Anglesey you may like
TROS YR AFON