A cosy bolthole for seven nestled in a picturesque country hamlet on the approach to the award-winning Church Bay beach
Menai Cottage is a cosy bolthole nestled in a picturesque country hamlet on the approach to the award-winning Church Bay beach. Oozing charm – you will love staying in as much as being out and about exploring the delights of the village and beyond. This is the perfect base to enjoy bucket and spades of fun on the beach. And the sweeping coastal footpath walks are only a mile or so away. There are buckets, spades and beach games already at Menai Cottage for you to use.
This beautiful Welsh house, with friendly neighbours, is Grade II listed and little has changed for years. From the rugged stone exterior, step into to a warm welcome. The entrance hallway leads to the cosy living area where a wood-burner roars away on a Welsh slate hearth to warm your cockles. Settle down on a squishy leather sofa or an armchair to snuggle up on and find a good flick on the huge plasma TV (with a SKY HD package!). There is a DVD library to select a movie from. Fancy a quiet read? A large book collection awaits.
Children – don’t worry there is an X-box with 40 games and a Tablet with games for your use. The ceiling sports ancient beams and together with the large sash windows really gives a homely feel. A fresh and airy mix of old and new ensures Menai Cottage has not lost any of its charms.
A decadent red dining room invites get-togethers and rumpus evening dinners. The house used to be the village pub many years ago, so continue every evening as a celebration in this house with the well-equipped kitchen close at hand. Settle in for a delicious meal in the glow from the glamorous candelabra, washed down with a bottle of fantastic wine, or a beer from the drinks fridge.
Designed for cooks by a cook, the kitchen comes fully equipped with all the mod cons and a dishwasher to make life easy. With a large range cooker and high-quality pans, it is perfect for prepping delicious holiday meals with all the kitchen gadgets you’ll ever need to hand. The kitchen table is the perfect place for having breakfast while looking out over the sheltered little courtyard. Breakfast al fresco, hidden away from the rest of the world in a sheltered courtyard, an oasis of greenery. The old stone walls at Menai Cottage provide the perfect shelter for a scrummy barbeque too with a glass of fizz. The Belfast sink has a view over this lush courtyard, which will take the edge off the washing-up.
If you fancy looking like a domestic goddess or god (without actually cooking) Eleanor Jane will provide their own in-house chef or can arrange home cooked meals to be delivered for your holiday. There is the ubiquitous fridge, freezer, microwave and washing machine. There is also a second fridge and freezer plus a dryer located in the outside store should you arrive laden with scrummy food.
A small and light bedroom opposite the living area is handy for those that cannot face the stairs. A handy cloakroom WC is also available on the ground floor.
Upstairs lies a spacious landing with a squashy leather chair for a quiet read. There are three individually styled bedrooms with lovely fabrics and furnishings that complement and enhance this traditional cottage, a double ‘Seaside’ bedroom is bright and airy with a brass bedstead and whitewashed floorboards.
The ‘Cath Kidston’ twin room is sure to provide you with a wonderful night’s sleep.
Spend long lazy mornings in the deliciously sized king size bed in the master bedroom. With a warm cocooning pink feature wall and the bed covered in a gorgeous pink patterned fabric, it’ll probably take you all morning to get out of bed!
The bathroom has a real charm about it. You can relax in the roll top bath or enjoy a brisk shower… extra large and sumptuously comfortable. Travertine effect tiles and a chunky chrome towel radiator provide a boutique-hotel feeling of luxury. Light some candles and soak after those long walks.
Walk down view filled country lanes, with hedgerows that smell heavenly, for about 25 minutes from Menai Cottage down to the beach for the sea air. Stop at the Church Bay Inn en-route and drink in the enchanting view over Holyhead Bay (with a drink in hand). A car will make the journey in quick time. We leave two mountain bikes for you to use so there is no excuse for getting out in the fresh air.
At Church Bay is the popular seafood restaurant, The Lobster Pot, or just pop in for a cream scone at the Wavecrest Cafe. One of those scones equals a thousand walks to wear it off, so take the coastal path to find the wealth of coves and stunning scenery.
The local village of Llanfaethlu is a mile and a half away with a shop for groceries. The Black Lion is a great pub with wood burning stove and local food. Dogs are also welcome. Only ten miles away is the port town of Holyhead, not just offering the convenience of supermarkets but also links to Ireland. The A55 expressway is 10 minutes away, giving easy access to explore the beauty of the Isle of Anglesey and with the majestic Snowdonia mountain range only a thirty-minute drive away.
- Accommodation can cater for 7 guests
- Main bedroom with king bed
- Twin bedroom with two singles
- Double bedroom with double bed
- Ground floor bedroom with single bed
- Family bathroom with bath, separate shower and heated towel rail
- Cupboard off hallway
- Living area with wood burning stove, sofa seating for 4 and armchair
- Dining table with seating for up to 8
- Wide Screen high Density 42” TV/DVD and Sky HD, CD player
- Kitchen with dishwasher, microwave, fridge/small freezer, dining table and 4 chairs
- Krups coffee machine (guests to supply their own pods)
- Heating via central heating radiators
- High chair and travel cot available
- Electricity and all bills included
- Hairdryer provided
- Parking for two cars
- Two bikes available in the garage for guests to use
- Courtyard with BBQ and chiminea
- No smoking inside
- Bedroom on the ground floor for those with limited mobility with cloakroom WC (no shower)
- Bedding and towels provided
- Dogs welcome – up to two dependent upon sizes – at an extra cost of £20 per dog
- Wifi and telephone available
- Picnic Blanket and cooler bag for guest’s use
- Buckets, spades, fishing nets and crab lines for beach fun
- Beach Cricket set, football, bat and ball and beach balls all available
- XBOX and a selection of 40 games
- Stock of DVDs
- Mobile reception average
- Restaurant and pubs within 1.5 miles
- Local shop within 1.5 miles
- Public transport available a few metres away
- Please note: a 30% deposit (excluding last minute bookings) and a £20 booking fee is required at the time of booking
MENAI COTTAGE, RHYDWYN, ANGLESEY, LL65 4EB
Similar cottages on Anglesey you may like