A romantic bolthole for two set in the woodlands of a private country estate with a fishing lake and close to quiet, sandy Borthwen beach
Head down a long private drive, into acres of woods to find Gamekeeper’s tucked away in the Carreglwyd Country Estate. This airy and bright cottage for two is set within peaceful surroundings with great views over the Victorian walled kitchen garden for the estate. The woodland walks trail through the mature woodlands and take you past a serene lake. The lake can be fished – coarse fishing with prior consent via the owner.
Pull on your walking boots, pop through the Kissing Gate and just a 20 minutes walk over estate land, you will find a hidden gem – Borthwen Bay. A beautiful sandy beach which is in an Area of Outstanding Natural Beauty and on the Anglesey Coastal Path. This is a perfect place to enjoy the plentiful and accessible coastline, with its accompanying walks and dramatic views. You can enjoy a walk on the coastal path to Church Bay and stop for lunch at the Wavecrest Café or infamous Lobster Pot restaurant. Gamekeeper’s has a wide appeal for those that love the lull of the waves and the freedom of the sandy, secluded beach, but also like the tranquillity of the woods.
This is a cosy and warm retreat for two. Internally, the kitchen is simple with slate worktops and heated via a Rayburn range. A double bedroom sits off the kitchen with an en-suite shower room with underfloor heating.
The very narrow and steep stairs are crafted from local wood and wind up to a large airy studio living area with open fire and four windows, one with views of the walled garden, the others of trees! Taste wine at the local Anglesey winery or visit the local art galleries, museums and castles. Down the road at Holyhead, take the ferry across to Dublin to sample the excellent seafood and have a great day out shopping. Or just pop to the local shop in the village at the top of Carreglwyd’s sweeping driveway to get a paper and read with only the local woodpecker to disturb the peace.
The Black Lion pub is just two miles away serving local produce, fine ales and has a wood-burning stove (dogs invited too!). Gamekeeper’s is also conveniently located to head off to explore the beauty of the Isle of Anglesey, with the majestic Snowdonia mountain range only a thirty-minute drive away.
Please note that the country estate does offer grouse and pheasant shooting so, in the season, this may be noisy for one day each week between September and January.
- Peaceful location in the woods with open fire
- Sleeps 2-3 with double bed and a day bed
- Accommodation can cater for 2 guests (with additional day bed in the living area
- Open plan living area with sofa seating for 4
- High Density TV/DVD and Freesat
- Very steep wooden stairs to the living area
- Bedroom with double bed
- Separate shower room off bedroom with under floor heating
- Kitchen with microwave, fridge/small freezer and washing machine
- Clothes line outside
- Cooking via Rayburn in winter and Baby Belling small oven with two hob rings in warmer months
- Heating via radiator run off the Rayburn in the winter and portable oil filled radiators in warmer months
- Open fire in living area
- High chair and travel cot available
- Electricity and all bills included
- Parking for two cars outside
- BBQ, table and chairs
- Sorry, no dogs
- Beautiful woodland walks
- Small garden, not enclosed
- No smoking
- Wifi available on site on request
- Mobile reception good
- Restaurant and two pubs within two miles
- Local shop within a mile
- Public transport available within a mile
- Please note: a 30% deposit (excluding last minute bookings) and a booking fee is required at the time of booking.
” Just emailing to say, we have had an amazing stay at the gamekeepers cottage. It is definitely a well equipped ‘HIDDEN GEM’! It’s like waking up in your very own fairytale! The bluebell woodland on your doorstep is definitely a doggie paradise too! A lovely tranquil environment to totally recharge! “
” Hi Catherine, just a quick note to say what a fantastic time we had at the Gamekeepers Cottage, the location and the cottage itself is wonderful and yes the weather all week was very good too, which was a real bonus at this time of year! Thank you too for the Barra Brith and the wine on our arrival, a lovely touch and very much appreciated. We hope to return soon! “
” A lovely cottage and so peaceful. This is a magical place and you should be very proud of it. We want to tell everyone how fab it is but want to keep it to ourselves. “
” A perfect hideaway to celebrate our first wedding anniversary. A sweet little cottage and we will be back! “
GAMEKEEPER’S, CARREGLWYD, LLANFAETHLU, ANGLESEY, LL65 4NY.
Similar cottages on Anglesey you may like
THE OLD DAIRY
THE CROW’S NEST