Close to sandy beaches and medieval castles, sit a couple of carefully restored farm buildings. Just getting here feels like an adventure but peace is your reward.
Close to sandy beaches and medieval castles, sit a couple of carefully restored farm buildings. Just getting here feels like an adventure. It’s all worth it once you discover this enchanting and secretive place sitting right next to the Cefni Estuary. With home-baked bread and jams on arrival, to a basket of complimentary logs supplied for the wood-burner, you’re well looked after here. Duck House sleeps two, or four if the sofa bed is used, and has The Dog House as its neighbour. A sensitively hidden interconnecting door links the two barns to make a perfect place for group feasts.
Enter the sitting room at The Duck House through French doors – airy, lofty and light, with a sweep of oak floor warm underfoot, a wood-burning stove, and a plump sofa to sink into. With everything on one level, you can just roll into your snug light-filled bedroom topped with a lovely bright duvet. Walk your socks off and return to a hot bath in the distinctively smart bathroom.
Early risers will want to make the most of the outdoors so pause for breakfast with home-laid eggs in the morning sun with the French doors flung open. Slip out of the door to the garden teeming with birds, flowers and wildlife. You are in a peaceful slice of country with a huge natural pond so there’s plenty to see. This is a place for free-ranging kids, country walks, gentle cycle rides and deep, peaceful sleep.
The River Cefni runs right next to The Duck House and draws you to explore its beauty by walking along the tow path to Malltraeth and visiting the local RSPB reserve on your way. Alternatively, you could borrow a canoe or bicycle from the Owners next door, for a small charge, and go to one of the many beautiful beaches within ten miles. Not far from Snowdon, you cannot fail to find something to stimulate your senses. It is no wonder the famous bird and wildlife artist, Charles Tunnicliffe, chose to live in Malltraeth overlooking the Cefni Estuary. Sit quietly by the river bank and watch out for the tufted ducks, shelduck, ringed plover and other waders including little egrets. Otters rule here! Further along from the Estuary you can walk along the Cob and join the Coastal Path to Newborough Forest. Here you can spot the enchanting red squirrels who are thriving on the Isle of Anglesey thanks to Dr Craig Shuttleworth, who is the reason these native animals have reclaimed our island.
If you fancy surfing or swimming then there are many local beaches within easy reach of The Duck House. You are spoilt for choice with Aberfraw, Rhosneigr and Newborough beach all within a stone’s throw. There are also excellent restaurants and pubs nearby – The Marram Grass can be recommended in particular, having won recognition nationwide.
Peaceful, welcoming and perfect. Next door is equally atmospheric.
- Right next to the Cefni Estuary
- Sleeps 2 (can sleep up to 4 with sofa bed at extra cost)
- Prices from £85 for a short break to £595 per week
- Friday or Monday changeover – 4pm check in/10am check out)
- 1 Bedroom with super king size bed (can be split into twin beds on request)
- En-Suite bathroom with full sized bath, WC, basin and heated towel rail
- Sofa bed to sleep an extra two people (extra £20 per person per booking)
- Open plan sitting room with kitchen/dining area
- Log burning stove (first basket of logs supplied)
- Free range eggs and homemade bread supplied upon arrival
- Television with Freeview
- Dogs welcome (please be aware there are Happy Hens free ranging)
- Ironing board and iron
- Linen and towels provided
- Wheelchair access
- Both The Dog House and The Duck House have a sleeping capacity of 2 (+2 people extra in each cottage if sofa bed is used – so a total of 8). There is an adjoining door (sensitively hidden between them and locked if each cottage is rented separately) that allows access to the adjoining cottage if required. This enables a larger group to rent the complete space.
- Please note: a 30% deposit (excluding last minute bookings) and a £20 booking fee is required at the time of booking
THE DUCK HOUSE, TROS YR AFON, BODORGAN, ANGLESEY, LL62 5HE.
Similar cottages on Anglesey you may like
APPLE TREE COTTAGE