The Dog House
The Dog House is a snug bolthole set in magical countryside located down a rural track with gardens to share with the Happy Hens.
The Dog House is a snug bolthole set in magical Anglesey countryside down a rural track with gardens to share with the Happy Hens. A pretty converted barn for two, refreshingly modern and full of colour, The Dog House will charm both you and the dog! Set in velvety fields with the River Cefni a hop away with its otters, this is proper “get away from it all” territory. It is a peaceful retreat for two (or can sleep 2 more on a very swish sofa bed) with plenty of animals to befriend. The beauty of The Dog House is that it can be shared with The Duck House next door. A secret door can be unlocked to allow the two barns to join up and allow even more gorgeousness to be shared. Two sumptuous super-king size beds and two sofa beds can then sleep eight.
Step into a light living space with window sills handcrafted from elm and wonderful cheery artwork hanging on the calming walls. There’s a huge sofa with large cushions, warm floors and a wood-burner to keep things toasty. Cooking’s a breeze in the simple yet well-equipped kitchen. Bread, milk and eggs are left by owners Katie and Ben to start you off, and breakfast can be enjoyed al fresco with the French doors open. Or spill out onto the picnic bench for summertime meals and games. Barbeques mean that summer evenings lounging in the garden gazing at the Snowdonia mountain range will be inevitable.
The shower room is a haven of serenity. Slate and pebbles cocoon you so that you will never wish to get out! The bedroom is fresh and calm with a huge bed. After a day’s exploration of marshland and river – if you’re lucky you’ll spot herons – you will want to linger here at The Dog House.
Pop along to the farmhouse next door to meet Katie and Ben if you need help or advice – or just want to say hello to the horses, dogs, cats, hens and ducks, of course! Canoes and bicycles can be rented from the owners for a small fee.
Perfect for bird watching this is the place to be if you enjoy natural history. Malltraeth was the home of the renowned wildlife illustrator Charles Tunnicliffe, right by the Cefni Estuary. Here you can see shelduck, one of Tunnicliffe’s favourite subjects, tufted duck, ringed plover and other waders including little egrets. From the estuary, you can walk along the Cob and onto the coastal path to red squirrel territory, Newborough Forest. Nearby is a little local RSPB reserve just a couple of miles along the bicycle track and footpath.
You’re just two miles away from the nearest pub, The Joiner’s Arms. Shopaholics will enjoy Beaumaris, a beautiful Anglesey seaside town. Menai Bridge has great eating places right by the Straits too.
The best beaches are Aberffraw beach (5 miles), Newborough Beach and forest (6 miles) and Rhosneigr (9 miles). Both Aberffraw and Rhosneigr have nice pubs and/or restaurants. Award-winning The Marram Grass is just four miles away towards Newborough, which has recently received excellent reviews in the national newspapers.
For those that feel hill walking is too energetic, there is a railway that will take you to the top of Snowdon where you can get some Bara Brith and a cup of tea! Other activities such as zip wiring, mountain biking, canoeing and kite surfing are all easily accessible.
- Right next to the Cefni Estuary
- Sleeps 2 (can sleep up to 4 with sofa bed at extra cost)
- Prices from £85 for a short break to £595 per week
- Friday or Monday changeover – 4pm check in/10am check out)
- 1 Bedroom with super king sized bed, this can be split into twin beds
- En Suite Shower room with lavatory, basin and heated towel rail
- Sofa bed to sleep an extra 2 (extra £20 per person per booking)
- Large open plan sitting room and kitchen/dining area
- Log burning stove with first basket of logs supplied
- Free range eggs and homemade bread supplied upon arrival
- Dogs welcome (please be aware there are Happy Hens free ranging)
- Ironing board and iron
- Linen and towels provided
- Wheelchair access
- Both The Dog House and The Duck House have a sleeping capacity of 2 (+2 people extra in each cottage if sofa bed is used – so a total of 8). There is an adjoining door (sensitively hidden between them and locked if each cottage is rented separately) that allows access to the adjoining cottage if required. This enables a larger group to rent the complete space
- Please note: a 30% deposit (excluding last minute bookings) and a booking fee is required at the time of booking.
“Wow! Just got back from a holiday at the Dog House. Lovely Ben and Katie make that place feel so welcoming! It was so relaxing it made us feel we had been away for years! Thank you and the dogs loved it too. Can’t wait until next year!”
THE DOG HOUSE, TROS YR AFON, BODORGAN, ANGLESEY, LL62 5HE.
Similar cottages on Anglesey you may like
APPLE TREE COTTAGE