Cable Cottage – Church Bay
Perched as close as it can get to the beach and shielded by majestic headlands, this seaside bolthole will steal your heart away. The beach is so quiet, you are unlikely to find it touched by any footprints other than your own. With direct access to the beach, you can be first to tumble out of bed to have that early, salty swim or surf!
A twisty, private lane leads to this coastal treasure which is steeped in history. So park up next to the lawn, breath in the salty air and the views as you stroll down the stone flagstones to your cottage. Cable Cottage is sturdy, built from welsh stone and has walls to withstand a storm or two. It is anchored to the site like the huge cable it sits next to that was installed by its very foundations in around 1871. The transatlantic cable was laid from this beach to Dublin to allow messages to be sent quickly. For the curious, the under-sea cable is still there and can be partially seen under the beach if you seek it out. Cable Cottage has been beautifully revived since then to now and become a blissful bolthole by the sea. You’ll be smitten the moment you step in. Enter the light-filled hallway with the ship-panelled walls and beautifully crafted steps with brass rails leading to the first floor. These beautiful features are believed to have been saved from the HMS Mauretania.
The children can scamper as you relax by the Rayburn in the big farmhouse kitchen. A sociable and bright room with wooden floors designed for feeding the crowds. Sunlight floods in through the arched windows and the views over the lawn provide food for thought. It is fabulously equipped and large enough for cooks to thrive and have helpers too! A grand farmhouse table to seat eight, a dresser laden with crockery , a battery of pans and a cosy Rayburn provide a dream place to linger over the seafood (what else?) recipes.
Load the log burner in the elegant sitting room with panelled walls painted in soft yellow. The plump sofas are perfect and wait until you see the view! The best window seat in the house is cushion-ready and waiting for dreamy searches for that ubiquitous sea horse. Watch the waves crashing on the beach below tucked up on a stormy day. Next door is a little games or reading room with table and chairs and fantastic views of the bay. It will be difficult to read one of the books on offer with the watery views as competition!
A ground floor king size bedroom has a finely dressed bed in feather and down and light dances in through two windows facing the gardens. The little old-fashioned sink is a handy addition but never fear, there is a shower room next door.
Light cascades through the two large garden windows of the twin room along the hall which has crisp lemon and white striped bedding. With a family bathroom next door, a luxurious soak is a step away.
For those who prefer a power shower, down the hallway is a fully tiled wet room.
Head up the steep steps to find two single beds tucked up under the eaves which are perfect to hunker down in with only the noise of sea and the wind to disturb you. Gaze out to the coastal treasure out of the window and tumble out of bed to enjoy the beach at low tide. Connected to this room is a double first floor bedroom with a king bed dressed with seaside colours. A perfect hideaway to drift off under the feather duvet to the sound of the waves. Fling open the window and drink in the views with fresh air off the Irish Sea and light dancing in off the waves. A great bolthole for the older children for fun and games away from the grown-ups!
A table with seating is poised for you to enjoy the garden or sit under the pergola by the stream. Spot the seals as you lounge on the rattan sofa on the turfed space with views of the ocean. The garden leads down to the water and from here, for those with the inclination for more views, the Coastal Path stretches away in both directions to two stunning beaches. Wild, rugged and astonishingly stunning, the walk takes you to Church Bay with its famous Lobster Pot Restaurant. The Wavecrest Cafe here has ice creams and perfect cream scones. The other cliff top path takes you along with its stunning views to Borthwen Beach, with its sandy expanses and rock pools. The Black Lion pub is not too far away with a wood burning stove and a fine welcome (dogs invited too!). Stroll back to Cable Cottage, kids in tow, and stretch out on the beach. At night, the sky flaunts a sparkling shawl of stars after a BBQ on the beach. It is a magical spot, as exhilarating in sunshine as on a wild and stormy night. A brilliant place for lovers of old-fashioned holidays – bring your fishing nets.
- On the beach
- Sleeps 8 with four bedrooms and three bathrooms
- A baby may be considered (a travel cot is available)
- Large living area with log burner and wide screen High Density TV/DVD and Freeview
- Reading room with games and books
- Kitchen with washing machine, dishwasher, microwave, coffee maker, two fridges and a separate freezer
- Dining table in kitchen with seating for 8 guests
- Ground floor bedroom with king size bed and basin
- Ground floor bedroom with two single beds
- Walk-in shower room (wet room)
- Bathroom with shower over bath next to the king bedroom
- Shower room with walk-in style shower by the twin room
- First floor bedroom in eaves with king bed accessed by steep steps and connected to the next bedroom with two single beds
- First floor room in eaves with two single beds accessed by steep steps and connected to the double room
- Heating via radiators and Rayburn
- Electricity and all bills included
- Towels and bedding included
- Parking for plenty of cars outside
- Boat or canoe storage
- Outside seating and table with sea views
- BBQ available
- Outside tap
- Lawn area not fully enclosed
- Travel cot and high chair available on request
- No smoking
- A dog welcome on request, £20 per dog
- No wifi available
- Saturday changeover
- Mobile reception average
- Pubs within a mile
- Local shop within two miles
- Public transport available within two miles
- Home cooked food delivery available
- Tesco, Waitrose & ASDA home delivery service available
- Holistic and beauty practitioner available on site
- Please note: a 30% deposit (excluding last minute bookings) and a £20 booking fee is required at the time of booking