A luxury boutique style bolthole that offers the tranquility of the countryside. Less than a two minute walk from a quiet sandy beach and coastal walks
Bwthyn Derwen offers the tranquillity of the countryside and the sound of the sea all from your own patio area. As evening draws in, marvel at the wealth of stars in a crystal clear sky. This exclusive barn conversion is on the North West coast of Anglesey is set within An Area of Outstanding Natural Beauty. It’s less than a two-minute walk from the secluded blue-flag sandy Borthwen Beach and coastal walks.
It is listed and little has changed outside, but from the rugged stone exterior of the former barn, step into a warm, lime plastered living and dining area with plum corner sofa and honey-coloured stone floors warmed by under floor heating. A wood-burner makes it cosy and a wide screen TV, DVD and Freesat , not to mention Wifi throughout, means you can while away the hours on the days when rest is called for. Tiny windows in the thick wall offer a glimpse of the barn’s past and twinkle in the candlelight.
Hard to drag yourself out… but do, for large patio doors swing open onto a spacious stone terrace with a large table, chairs. A barbeque is positioned ready for the catch of the day. Cook up with the salt in the air. A couple of stone steps lead up to the shared lawn, which is a sociable place and great for playing. A hidden nook around the corner, off the patio, offers a secret place to hide and to sit and read quietly with a drink.
Inside, the oak dining table and comfortable cream upholstered chairs sit in a quiet corner and are great for dining with the candles lit. Down some steps is a sleek, cream galley kitchen with rustic oak shelving and all that you need for your stay. Reluctant cooks can book homemade meals in advance!
Tucked away up the spiral stairs are two beguiling bedrooms – one twin and one double. The hardships of farm living have been banished at Bwthyn Derwen. You will find bright cotton bedding and two luxurious bathrooms.
Stroll down to the beach for the sea air or roam the endless lanes with hedgerows that smell heavenly. The surrounding area is a haven for nature lovers providing fantastic walks, course and sea fishing, riding and sailing opportunities.
After a short walk of a mile and a half, through a wealth of coves and stunning scenery, you come to Church Bay and the popular seafood restaurant, The Lobster Pot – or just pop in for a cream scone at the Wavecrest Cafe. One of those scones equals a thousand walks to wear it off, so keep meandering along the cliffs to drink in the views.
The local village is a mile away with a shop for groceries and a great new pub with wood burning stove and local food. Dogs are also welcome. Only ten miles away is the port town of Holyhead, not just offering the convenience of supermarkets but also links to Ireland. The A55 expressway is 10 minutes away, giving easy access to explore the beauty of the Isle of Anglesey and with the majestic Snowdonia mountain range only a thirty-minute drive away.
Finally, as Borthwen Barns are close to the privately owned Carreglwyd Country Estate, the huge fishing lake and beautiful woodland walks can be made available to all guests on request. There will be a small cost for use of the fishing of the lake.
Couple discounts apply from November to mid-February on request please (excluding peak weeks).
- Just a two minute walk from the beach
- Sleeps 4 with two bedrooms
- There is a double sofa bed and bedding can be provided upon request – this is at an extra cost and to be arranged with prior notice
- On two floors with spiral stairs
- 1 master bedroom with king bed and en-suite shower room and heated towel rail
- 1 twin room with two singles (can be configured as a king bed on request with plenty of notice please)
- Family bathroom with bath and shower over and heated towel rail
- Open plan living and dining with sofa seating for 6 and dining table for 6
- Wood burning stove
- Wide Screen high Density TV/DVD and Freesat
- Kitchen with dishwasher, microwave, fridge/small freezer
- Cupboard off kitchen accommodates washing machine and dryer
- Heating via under floor heating
- High chair and travel cot available upon request, with plenty of notice please
- Electricity and all bills included
- Parking for one car outside barn and an overspill car park about 45m away for any additional cars
- BBQ, patio area with bench/table
- Shared lawn area
- No smoking
- Dogs welcome – up to three dependent upon sizes (at a cost of £20 per dog)
- Wifi available throughout
- Mobile reception poor to average
- Restaurant and two pubs within two miles
- Local shop within a mile
- Public transport available within a mile
- Please note: a 30% deposit (excluding last minute bookings) and a £20 booking fee is required at the time of booking
Howard, fliss the kids and obviously Alfie who has loved his walks xx (December 2015)
” Great place we enjoyed our short stay here with amazing wlaks and the cottage is cosy. Love it! Simply prefect for a peaceful break – we’ll be back! ”
Sally, Lucy, Andrew and Charlie the dog (April 2014)
” Great place we enjoyed our short stay here with amazing wlaks and the cottage is cosy. Love it! Simply prefect for a peaceful break – we’ll be back! “
Sally, Lucy, Andrew and Charlie the dog (April 2014)
BWTHYN DERWEN, 1 BORTHWEN BARNS, LLANFAETHLU, ANGLESEY, LL65 4PA.
Similar cottages on Anglesey you may like